These are some examples on where to place your fire extinguishers.
- Near an exit
- Visible location
- High on wall
- Out of children's reach
- Away from heat sources
- No more than 23m away from a Class A hazard (Ordinary combustibles)
- No more than 15m away from a Class B hazard (Flammable liquids)
- Laundry room
- Top of basement stairwell
- On each floor of your home
Wall Mounting of Fire Extinguishers
- The carrying handle of a portable fire extinguisher with a total gross weight of 4kg or less should be sited at a max height of 1.2m from the floor.
- The carrying handle of a portable fire extinguisher with a total gross weight of above 4kg should be sited at a max height of 1m from the floor.
Two Extinguishers Mounted Side by Side
With one extinguisher total weight above 4kg and the 2nd extinguisher below 4kg, both extinguishers can be mounted on the wall at the heaviest extinguisher handle fixing height of max 1m from the floor.
Fire Extinguisher Stands
Where fire extinguishers can not be wall mounted, the use of fire extinguisher stands is recommended.